- Agile/Fluid/Nimble: For older folks, these words mean what we no longer are. For younger folks, these words mean what no one will let us be. Address the aim, not the feeling associated with the process.
- Authenticity: Being authentic is like being classy. If you are, you’re probably not talking about it.
- Relevance: Ditto authenticity.
- Boomers/Millennials: Don’t assume a whole age bracket operates as a monolith.
- Missional: Seems to be whatever someone decides it means in the moment, leaving ample opportunity for misunderstanding.
- Think creatively: This phrase is usually in place of actual creative thinking and/or specifics.
- Out of the box: Creativity should really be inside our boxes, not an exception.
We apologize that the last two were actually buzzphrases, not buzzwords. We were thinking outside of the box.
Based on what we’ve heard on Twitter, the list could be much longer. Leave your suggestions in the comments or Tweet them at @centeraisle using #episcojargon.
This article originally appeared in Center Aisle’s second print edition.